- Each child must have a medical examination and immunization card on file at the preschool before school starts.
- Parents must sign a consent form for medical emergencies and field trips. All forms are provided.
- Each child must be accompanied by a parent or adult when they come to preschool. Written parent permission is necessary for non-parents to take child on file.
- SHARE Preschool is licensed by the State of Iowa Department of Social Services. We will follow their guidelines at all times.
- Children from three to five years of age may enroll.
When your child is discharged from school at the end of the school year, all records are kept by SHARE Preschool with the exception of the immunization cards which are returned to all parents.
SHARE Preschool operates:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Wednesday and Friday from 8:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Please pick up your child no later than five minutes after the session is over. We follow the public school schedule regarding closure for vacations, holidays, and inclement weather.
If Newton Schools are closed due to inclement weather, we will also close. Please listen to KCOB-KLVN for cancellations. Each class is allowed one cancellation without make-up. If more than one should occur, a make-up class will be scheduled or a credit will be given to the student’s account.
If your child is not feeling well, running a fever, has diarrhea, vomiting or any open sores (from cold sores to chicken pox), please keep him/her home. It is not fair to expose others. Your child may return to school ONLY if they are symptom free (without the use of fever-reducing medicine) for 24 hours. The regular fee is charged for absences except those caused by an extended illness of two weeks or more. This policy is necessary since our operation costs continue as we save space for your child. After a serious illness, a medical clearance statement must be given to the director before the child is re-admitted. If your child becomes ill at school, you will be contacted. One of your emergency contact people will be called, if you can’t be reached. When filling out your emergency contact form please remember to list cell phone numbers if you have them.
Arrival and Departures
The Church entrance is used to access the preschool. Please wait for a teacher to greet your child at your car. If arriving late, plan to escort your child to the preschool room. Never leave children unattended in the upper level of the Church/McCann Center. Preschoolers are anxious to leave after school, so please be on time.
On the enrollment forms you will find a line asking for the names of individuals who will be able to pickup your child. You may authorize as many people as you need. We will not allow your child to leave with an unauthorized person. You may send a note adding names at any time during the school year.
Late Pick-up Charges
Occasionally, you might be late when picking up your child. We allow two grace periods for unforeseen mishaps. On the third and each subsequent offense, a $5.00 charge (for every 10 minutes you are late) will be assessed. You will be asked to pay the teacher directly upon your arrival.
Children will be with responsible adults at all times:
Director/Teacher: Brooke Soppe
Teacher: Sam Snook
Teacher: Angie Hashman
Teacher: Sarah Muhs
Volunteer parents are welcome to assist when possible.
We can always use an extra pair of ears, eyes and hands. We welcome volunteers anytime. Volunteers are especially appreciated on holiday celebrations, field trips and special days which will be periodically announced.
Department of Human Services regulations require background record checks and fingerprinting on any substitute, volunteer or staff person who has direct responsibility for SHARE students or access to a student when the student is alone. Parents do not need a background check to help on field trips or in the classroom with their own child.
If you are asked to take the place of an absent teacher, your child’s fees will be waived for that day.
$130.00 per month — MTTH Program
$105.00 per month — WF Program
Tuition must be paid in advance, i.e., the first day of school each month. If tuition has not been paid by the 15th of the month, your child will be dropped from the class list.
When taking field trips, we will inform parents prior to the field trip as to where we are going. If we transport seven or more children in one vehicle, we will have two adults present.
When taking field trips away from the center we will provide one additional person aged 16 or older over the ratio sanction by Iowa law.
All children shall be in safety restraints or seat belts when going on a field trip in non-commercial vehicles.
Teachers communicate positive messages to students by modeling cooperation and respect for others. The environment at SHARE Preschool encourages creative, constructive and responsible activity. The discipline policy is viewed as learning experience for students with rules that are simple and clearly stated.
- Always be considerate, courteous and respectful to others.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Stay within the fenced area during outside play.
- Use inside voices.
Consequences for appropriate behavior:
- Verbal praise
- Tangible rewards; stickers, candy
- Increased free play time
- Special parties, special days
- Notes home praising behavior
Consequences for inappropriate behavior:
- The children are encouraged to solve disagreement themselves
- Teacher diffuses situation using humor
- Child is redirected to another play area
- Teacher helps model appropriate play
- Teacher discusses situation with child/children
- Teacher and student agree on new plan of action
- Inform parent of behavior
- Students explains concerns to a teacher
- Questions are asked of each student to clarify the situation
- Teacher defines expected behavior to each child.
- Students and teacher agree on new plan of action
- Students are praised for their efforts.
We start out gradually explaining the rules the first day and continue all year. You can be helpful by going over the rules at home.
Occasionally a child will experience difficulty in adjusting to a preschool setting and/or abiding by classroom rules. If your child is experiencing difficulty, you will be notified and a conference will be scheduled. We will then work closely with you to resolve the problem. In the extreme case where correction is not plausible, we reserve the right to have you withdraw your child from SHARE Preschool.
Parents are encouraged to visit and take part in our activities. You may call ahead or just drop in. Parents will be limited visitation only by court order.
Centers are responsible for ensuring the safety of children at the center and preventing harm by being proactive and diligent in supervising not only the children, but other people present at the facility.
1. Any person in the center who is not an owner, staff member, substitute, or subcontracted staff or volunteer who has had a record check and approval to be involved with child care shall not have “unrestricted access” to children for whom that person is not the parent, guardian, or custodian, nor be counted in the staff to child ratio.
*“Unrestricted access” means that a person has contact with a child alone or is directly responsible for child care.
*“It is imperative that centers not allow people who have not had a record check assume child care responsibilities or be alone with children. This directly relates both to child safety and liability to the center.
2. Persons who do not have unrestricted access will be under the direct “supervision” and “monitoring” of a paid staff member at all times and will not be allowed to assume any child care responsibilities. The primary responsibility of the supervision and monitoring will be assumed by the teacher unless he/she delegates it to the teacher assistant due to a conflict of interest with the person.
*“Supervision” means to be in charge of an individual engaged with children in an activity or task and ensure that they perform it correctly.
*“Monitoring” means to be in charge of ensuring proper conduct of others.
3. Center staff will approach anyone who is on the property of the center without their knowledge to ask what their purpose is. If staff is unsure about the reason they will contact their Site Manager or another management staff to get approval for the person to be on site. If it becomes a dangerous situation staff will follow the “intruder in the center” procedures. Non-agency persons who are on the property for other reasons such as maintenance, repairs, etc. will be monitored by paid staff and will not be allowed to interact with the children on premise.
4. A sex offender who has been convicted of a sex offense against a minor (even if the sex offender is the parent, guardian, or custodian) who is required to register with the Iowa sex offender registry (Iowa Code 692A):
a. Shall not operate, manage, be employed by, or act as a contractor or volunteer at the child care center.
b. Shall not be on the property of the child care center without the written permission of the center director, except for the time reasonably necessary to transport the offender’s own minor child or ward to and from the center.
i. The center director is not obligated to provide written permission and must consult with their DHS licensing consultant first.
ii. If written permission is granted it shall include the conditions under which the sex offender may be present, including:
1. The precise location in the center where the sex offender may be present.
2. The reason for the sex offender’s presence at the facility.
3. The duration of the sex offender’s presence.
4. Description of how the center staff will supervise the sex offender to ensure that the sex offender is not left alone with a child.
5. The written permission shall be signed and dated by the director and sex offender and kept on file for review by the center licensing consultant.
This policy will be included in the parent handbook that is distributed to the parents at the start of school.
You are welcome to bring food or beverages for snack anytime. You may bring birthday treats on or near your child’s birthday if you wish. (Please note cupcakes are welcome only as a special treat for birthdays. According to state guidelines, they do not fall under a satisfactory food group.) We would like to see everyone have a turn to be special at snack time by sharing, so we so we schedule 2-3 snack days for each child. A snack calendar is sent home at the end of every month. If the snack day is inconvenient or a financial burden, please inform the school. The school provides snacks when no treats are scheduled. Please keep treats as nutritious as possible. State guidelines suggest 2% milk when including milk with your snack.
Note: when juice is served, state guidelines require the use of 100% fruit juice.
Children are required to have a physical and valid immunization form at enrollment.
Children will have direct contact with staff upon arrival for detection of illness.
Children who exhibit the following symptoms will not be allowed to remain at the center, or will be sent home if they become ill during the day:
- Fever (101°) within past 24 hours
- Severe continuous coughing
- Unexplained rashes
- Swollen glands
If a child becomes ill or injured during a preschool session, the child will be led to a quiet area in the preschool office. The child will be made comfortable with blankets, pillow and an appropriate area to lie down if necessary. One staff member will stay with the child until the parent arrives.
Parents must complete a Medication Authorization form for children requiring medications, including over the counter medications. Medication must be provided in the original container. Prescription medication must be accompanied by the doctor’s directions.
Parents should notify the center when a child has contracted a communicable disease. All communicable diseases will be reported by the SHARE Preschool director to the Jasper County Health Department, (792-5086). The center will post notices of exposure of children to a communicable disease.
Children will be supervised at all times within the facility and on the playground.
Emergency evacuation plans will be posted by all exits. Emergency numbers are posted by all phones.
All full time staff certified in First Aid and CPR.
All staff are trained mandatory reporters for child abuse situations. Mandated reporters who suspect that any type of abuse is occurring must report it to the state.
No smoking is allowed within the facility, within the facility vehicles, or on the playground.
First aid kits are clearly labeled and available within the center, in the outdoor play area and on field trips. First aid kits will be restocked following each first aid incident. Contents of the first aid kit are maintained in good condition by periodic reviews of the contents.
Emergency numbers for each child shall be taken when on field trips.
SHARE Preschool will keep a generic brand of SPF 30 sunscreen at school to be used on field trips to Carroll’s Pumpkin Patch, Maytag Park and any time students are exposed to the sun more than ten minutes.
The center has written plans for fire, tornado, flood, intruders and intoxicated parents, lost or abducted children, power failures, bomb threats, chemical spills, earthquakes, and blizzards. These plans include transportation arrangements.
The center will provide written incident reports to parents when there are minor injuries and minor changes in health status, or behavioral concerns. Serious injuries will be reported immediately to the parent.
Medical and Dental Emergencies
Each student’s file will contain a medical and dental emergency consent form that will specify where care should be obtained in the event of an emergency. This information will be updated as needed.
Local emergency care can be obtained at Skiff Medical Center, Newton, Iowa.
If an emergency occurs, the preschool staff will authorize and seek emergency care and make arrangements to get the child to the clinic/hospital if the parent/guardian cannot be reached. The release form does not allow the staff to authorize treatment. The staff will continue to try to contact the parent/guardian. All dental emergencies require that parents and the child’s dentist or physician be contacted.
Staff ratios will be maintained at SHARE Preschool during an emergency by calling substitutes from an identified list. This list is kept in the emergency procedures manual.
Cleaning and Sanitizing Environment, Toys and Equipment
Hand-washing for staff shall occur:
- upon entrance to school
- before and after setting up snacks for student consumption
- before and after helping student use bathroom
- after handling items soiled with bodily fluids
- after handling an ill child
Hand-washing for students shall occur:
- upon arrival
- after using bathroom
- before eating
- after touching child that is sick or toy that is soiled
Carpet will be vacuumed daily by SHARE Preschool staff.
Toys and play equipment will be scrutinized daily for cleaning. Non-absorbent toys and play equipment will be washed with soap and water. Rinsed in a diluted (1:10 to 1:100) bleach solution. Toys will be air dried.
All equipment such as tables and chairs and child areas will be cleaned daily and frequently, using a bleach solution of ¼ cup bleach to 1 gallon. Bleach solution will be mixed daily.
If your child will be late or absent, please telephone 792-8639 before 8:45 a.m. If you would like information about the adjustment of your child to preschool, or have suggestions or questions, feel free to contact the director by phone or arrange to meet after your child’s session. We like to give our undivided attention to your children during class time.
Large book bags are very helpful when we send home short newsletters, notes, and fliers throughout the year. Check your child’s bag for these. We do not send out bills due to extra postage cost. You are encouraged to call or come in with any questions, concerns or suggestions. This is your preschool. Your child learns best when parents and teachers work together.
Clothing should be clean, comfortable and simple for the child to attend to. Remember bathroom needs when selecting outfits. State law requires that shoes be worn at all times. Please label any item to be removed such as jackets, boots and mittens. Belts should be omitted unless the child can manage them. Paint spills and outside play can take their toll on very special outfits. We try to be careful!
Boots and snow pants are NOT required for preschool. We do not play outside during the cold winter months except for an occasional sledding party. We will let you know in advance if you will need to send special outdoor clothing for your child. The sidewalks are generally clear at Sacred Heart during the winter and we make every effort to keep your child’s shoes dry and clean.
Many of you have special interests, hobbies, talents, pets or collections that we would enjoy seeing. Please feel free to contact us and we’ll arrange a time for you to come share with us.
A conference will be scheduled for each child in November. We feel it is important to meet with parents about your child’s progress. It is a great time to air questions and concerns. Spring conferences are scheduled by request only.
Multicultural and Nonsexist Education
SHARE Preschool shall maintain its programs and practices whereupon no person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under said programs and activities of the district. It is also the policy of SHARE Preschool that the curriculum content and instructional materials utilized reflect the cultural and racial diversity found in our country and an awareness of rights, duties and responsibilities of each individual as a member of a pluralistic society.